The Historic Linda Richards Building
The Linda Richards Building, constructed in 1935 on the New England Hospital campus (DBA Dimock
Community Health Center), was the first hospital in the country to have a school for nurses, graduating
America's first trained nurse, Linda Richards (1873). The hospital, formerly known as New England
Hospital for Women & Children, was founded by Dr. Marie Zakrzewska and co-founder Dr. Susan Dimock,
for whom the Health Center is now named. Today, the Dimock campus is included in the National
Register of Historic Places.
Vertec completed a new 18,000 s.f. addition consisting of a reinforced concrete structure along
with a block and brick facade, accented by pre-cast concrete features. The existing building
received a gut rehabilitation of this 32,000 s.f. turn-of-the-century hospital. Adding to the
complexity of this project was the coordination and planning of the transitional modification to
central registration to accommodate various ongoing medical programs.
Architects: Pilling & Smith, Cambridge, Massachusetts